SMC Interrupts Boot Process: CAN Use Target Disk Mode, Fans HIGH
So, I have a 15” Retina MacBook Pro (Late-2013). The SMC is interrupting the Boot Process, according to the Verbose Output that I read. Here’s what’s happening:
• MacBook Pro CHIMES with Successful POST
• Mac OS X Begins to Load Macintosh HD
• Fans Begin Running on HIGH
• Apple Logo Appears and Loads Mac OS X
• Progress Bar HANGS at 75% Loading
The MacBook will then stall for HOURS if left like this. I once left it like this overnight when it first began to see if it would eventually boot. It didn’t.
Symptoms I’ve Noticed:
• I CANNOT Boot into Safe Mode
• I CANNOT Boot into Recovery Mode
• I CAN Boot into Verbose Mode
• I CAN Boot into Single-User Mode
• I CAN Use Target Disk Mode
• I CAN Boot into MacOS via Target Disk Mode from Another Mac
What’s I’ve Tried to Fix It:
• Reset PRAM (I’ve heard the 2nd Chime indicating Success)
• Reset SMC (MagSafe Indicator Light Turns from Amber to Green and back to Green, indicating Success)
• Accessed Target Disk Mode to Rule Out Hard Drive Failure
• Ran Disk Utility to Repair Disk (Several Times)
• Ran Disk Warrior 5 to Rebuild the Directory
• Removed Boot EFI File in Application Support > Core Services (To Be Rebuilt by Mac During Boot Up)
• Attempted to Boot a separate instance of MacOS from a Bootable Thumb Drive (Unsuccessful, Same 75% Loading then Restarts)
• Ran Apple Hardware Test, Results State Issue with SMC, No Descriptive Information Given
What I’ve Found:
It appears that the SMC Controller is preventing the MacBook Pro from Booting up. I’m seeing lights on the Keyboard, images on the Display, but the system is stopping itself from booting.
I can also boot the system from the Hard Drive in Target Disk Mode on my other MacBook Pro. I just can’t get the MacBook Pro to boot from it’s own physical hardware.
I’m suspicious that it could be a hardware issue, but I’m not familiar in where to start to diagnose and troubleshoot and issue. Any advice in regard to this issue would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you so much!