Hello there! My name is Juan Carlos Palominos Jr and I am proud to say that I am a Material Science and Engineering Major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
As the oldest son of Mexican immigrants, I was raised with the morals and values that have encouraged me to become a leader. I was taught to be aware of the effects of my actions, and how they can shape me into a better person. Although many wouldn’t take my place, I am thankful for the experiences I’ve had to face. I have dedicated my life to pave a strong example for my two younger brothers and honor the countless sacrifices my parents have had to make in order for me to still be alive today.
My passions for both math and science has given me the courage to believe that I can tackle real world problems and find creative ways to solve them. I intend to give back to my community by creating products or programs that focus on engineering so students of color can be confident in their ability to overcome barriers found within the fields of math and science.
Some of my other passions include, Air Sole innovation Technology, Sports, Comic Books, and spending time with my two younger bothers!
- Advanced mathematics (calculus, differential equations)
- CNC Machine
- Lathe Machine
- Solid Works
- Air Motor Machining Project (2019)
- Utilized a variety of machining processes to produce and assemble a motor that runs on compressed air. Our entire class coordinated to produce over 30 air motors in 2 days. Machining processes include lathe work, CNC milling, broaching, and more. Each air motor was tested for functionality; all motors performed flawlessly
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Drive - Los Altos High School (2017)
- In light of the urgent needs communities in Huston were experiencing, my Student Community Leadership class decided to take action by uniting our school community and providing a space where our students could donate to those in need. As the Head Of our Fundraising Committee I was responsible for directing our efforts and publicizing the event. We were able to raise $2,737 in the span of four days. Donations directly benefited students who were displaced by the hurricane.
- Red Cross Blood Services - Campus Coordinator (2016-2018)
- The Red Cross brings more than 50 years of blood collection and transfusion experience, deep community connections and a network of nationwide resources. I was lucky enough to bring our school community together as a lead manager and Campus Coordinator serving as a vital link between willing blood donors and the patients whose lives they help save. It was amazing to see my fellow peers become heroes of our community and be able to give back through their donations.
- High School Graduate (2018)
- GO EAGLES! I will never forget about the experiences that I had at Los Altos High School. It shaped me into the young man I am today, teaching me about the importance of giving back, staying true to yourself, and striving to be an example for those in your community. CLASS OF 2018!
Graduation Day at Los Altos High School. This is my whole AVID class
- D2 Intramural Flag Football Champion (2019)
- Won the Intramural Flag Football D2 league at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo! My team remained undefeated. I played Wide Receiver and Corner Back
- Car repairs:
- Oil change
- Other repairs:
- iPhone 5 battery replacement
- Mend and patch holes in clothing
- Hotel Key Reader repair
- Retaining Wall
- Base Pad for a Cow
- Irrigation Systems
This was my team and I working for the city of Mountain View, repairing a retaining wall.
- National Honor Society (2016 - 2018)
- California Scholastic Federation (2014 - 2018)
- LAHS “New Era” Leadership Award (2018)
- LAHS Principals Award (2018)
- Latino Cultural Assocation (2018-present)
- Destined For X (2017-present)
- Poly Cultural Weekend Host (2018-present)
- Playing sports
- Going to the gym
- Collecting Sneakers and Vintage Clothing
Fun fact about me: I can make a really good Donald Duck Voice!