Advice on optical drive/SSD upgrade to my trusty mac?
Hi iFixit, thanks for an awesome website.
My MBP 15" A1260 is coming up on 4 years. Instead of dropping serious cash on a new one, I think I'll extend its life a bit more with an SSD, moving the HDD to the optical drive. Can you give me some advice please? In essence:
- Will the SSD upgrade provide a worthwhile performance increase?
- Will the HDD move to the (PATA) optical drive bay result in much slower HDD performance?
Detailed questions below:
MBP 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
- I'm looking at a 128GB Crucial M4. Is this a wise choice?
- Anything I should know about the SATA connection in my latpop? I know it's 1.5 Gb/s; will the SSD be throttled to pointlessness? 150MB/s makes me question the point of this upgrade a bit... :(
- Or, should I thus be considering a different SSD?
The optical bay:
- I've found the PATA to SATA caddy from AMZNeTek on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/caddy-Macbook-A126...).
- The drive going in there will be a 500GB Seagate Momentus, 7200RPM. Will I see a serious decrease in speed when I move this drive? I see PATA/ATA 100 can do 100MB/s, which of course is round about what the HDD will do in the best case.
- Anything I'm blatantly missing...? :)
Thanks for your time,
Это хороший вопрос?