S8 Motherboard Components Overheating
I just recieved a Galaxy S8 active with diagnosed battery swelling. This repair should've been a breeze, but when I put in a new battery the phone powered on but became very hot very quickly. Specifically, the two shielded components on the motherboard on the left side of the battery. Everything else was at a normal temperature except for those two components.
The battery is OEM and brand new.
My theory is that this is an underlying issue that caused the previous battery to swell up and stop functioning.
The components heat up to very hot temperatures (almost too hot to touch) in mere seconds and when the phone is turned off, it cools down in seconds as well.
Side Note: There were a few (under 5) small bugs, black, and smaller than ants in the phone. IDK if this is relevant or if they just got in during shipping.
Anyways, if I seal up the phone and send it on its merry way, I think this new battery will swell up as well. I have never encountered an issue like this and any help would be appreciated.
Side Note 2: The phone is not water damaged. It turns on just fine and the indicators are still white.
Thanks for the reply.
I disconnected everything and then plugged in the screen and battery to the motherboard. It wouldnt turn on. I plugged in the daughter board, plugged the phone in and then it turned on. It remained on when the charger was disconnected and still heated up exactly as before. While doing that, I noticed a dent on the shield, as if it had been impacted. Could a component have been knocked loose/off by that? On the back cover, there is no evidence if an impact.
I'm very new to microsoldering, so any of that is risky at best.
Have I hit a dead end, or are there more avenues for me to explore?
EDIT: I've been disconnecting components one by one and booting up the phone. I disconnected everything, including the daughterboard, and the phone booted up and heated up. It seems that the last test was a fluke and the daughterboard is not a factor.
EDIT 2: I put the S8 Active battery in a spare regular S8 and the same issue happened with the S8. It must be a bad/low quality battery. OEM my @$$.
EDIT 3: Okay, this repair has been a wreck. I tried to use the S8 battery on the S8 Active and see if it heats up. The battery was still in the S8, and after a few minutes of smashing the two phones together I decided to remove it. I guess I was hasty because of how frustrating this is so I punctured the battery. I ended up taping the hole and taking the battery outside to wait out the heating. Luckily the battery had less than 10%. Catastrophe neutralized. Later, I plugged in the S8 without a battery. It turned on but still heated up. >:[ Maybe this is the normal operating temperature, but it can't be felt from under the back cover? I'm going to put the battery and cover in and do some side by side tests with another phone.
OKAY, so I'm smol brain.
There was never a problem.
I took a look at the wireless charging pad and accompanying plastic pieces , and there was insulating tape on the part that surrounds the above mentioned components. I guess I never turned an S8 on without putting that cover on. It wasn't overheating, it was just fine. The battery is isolated from the above mentioned components and I assume very little heat gets through the insulation. I wasted three hours and destroyed an S8 battery because I'm so dumb. I hope at least one person found this amusing.
Это хороший вопрос?