Follow the steps below if your PlayStation 4 shuts off unexpectedly while in use. If your PS4 doesn’t turn on at all check out the PlayStation 4 Won’t Turn On wiki instead. If your PS4 turns on but displays no image the PlayStation 4 Black Screen wiki will be most helpful.
HDMI Device Link
HDMI Device Link matches the power state of your PS4 with your TV. When you turn on your TV, the PS4 also turns on. If enabled, HDMI Device Link can sometimes inadvertently cause your PS4 to turn off. Turn off this feature and see if it fixes your issue.
- Select Settings > System.
- Select HDMI Device Link and hit the X button on your DualShock controller to toggle it off.
Sometimes the PS4's system software causes the console to shut down. If this is the case, Sony will implement system updates that you need to download. It's always a good idea to keep your console updated with the latest firmware.
- Connect your PS4 to the internet.
- Select Settings.
- Select Update System Software.
- The user interface should show you which update file will update e.g “Version 10.01”
- Select Next.
- Select Update to begin updating your system.
If you cannot connect your console to the internet, you must update your console manually using a USB drive.
If your console turns off after entering Rest Mode, even though you don't turn off the console yourself, you should turn off Rest Mode, allowing you to avoid the Rest Mode bug that prevents some PS4s from turning back on.
- To disable Rest Mode, select Settings > Power Save Settings.
- Select Set Time Until PS4 Enters Rest Mode and set the During Media Playback and While Playing Games options to Don't Put In Rest Mode.
The Power Supply is not Powering the Console
The console is not receiving enough power from either the wall outlet or the power cord to stay on.
- Unplug the power cable. Wait at least one minute, check the cord for damage, and then plug it back into the PS4.
- If it is damaged or you aren't sure the cord works, try another power cord. The PS4 uses an IEC C7 power cable that came standard with the PS3 and PS5.
- Use a different wall outlet.
- It is possible the power supply is damaged and you may need to replace the power supply. Make sure the console is not overheating before repairing the power supply.
Ensure your console has proper ventilation. The PS4 console may shut down if unable to cool components to avoid damaging its hardware.
- Turn off the console.
- Wait at least an hour.
- Move the console to a well-ventilated location where no objects are on, under, or right next to the console. Ensure that all of the vents are clear and have good airflow.
- Restart the console.
- If you still have trouble with ventilation, make sure the vents are clean. You may need to clean or replace the fan.