Why write gadget teardowns?
- If you can't open it, you don't own it.
- Gadgets are just as cool inside as outside.
- Show your friends how smart you are.
- Show people what's inside of the devices they use every day.
- For the lulz.
- For the fame and glory.
- Show the world how stuff works.
- Learn how to improve and hack stuff.
- For the sheer joy of tinkering.
- Prove that even though you're the first to have the latest gadget, you'd rather take it apart than use it!
- Teach everyone else how to open the device.
How do I get my teardown featured?
The iFixit editors review every new teardown and select the absolute best guides to feature. Factors we consider:
- Clear and easy to understand photos.
- In-depth technical details, including chip identification and analysis.
- High quality writing, including correct spelling and punctuation.
- Witty, incisive commentary.
- Bribes sent to our editors. (We like cookies.)
How are teardowns licensed?
We license all user-contributed teardowns under the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike license.
You are free to republish, share, and remix teardowns as long as you attribute the source link, use it for a noncommercial purpose, and distribute any modifications of the teardown under a similar license.
We're very open to people using teardowns in other creative ways. If you want to use a teardown for a commercial purpose, contact kyle [at] ifixit [dot] com.
Members of the press may use three teardown photos per story with attribution without specific permission. More generous press licensing is easily obtainable by emailing us.
Also see the Content Licensing page for more details on using content.